Danger, Danger! High Voltage!

That is right up there with “me” levels of luck that he’s not dead.

And I’ve survived a car somersaulting into a storm ditch…

What’s the scale?

Is the spider as big as the tip of your thumb, or the palm of hand? Or a hubcap?

pfffttt… bit of compressed air and she’s right out of there.

1 Like

I believe that’s a tarantula.

Unless it’s an electrical box for a doll house, I’d say it’s “too big.”

$Wife is worried enough about the quarter-diameter (including legs!) spiders we get in the basement sometimes. I think they’re wolf spiders, which can get to be several inches in diameter, but the big boys generally avoid habitated areas. I think they’re also harmless to humans, as opposed to some of the local spiders that can cause problems.

While most spiders are venomous, most are also too mild to be more than a minor annoyance.

Wolf spiders are pretty much harmless, yes.

I should clarify that I didn’t actually take either of those photos…

Common voltages in the UK:

480V~ industrial distribution
240V~ domestic distribution
120V~ industrial tools, etc, used with standardised transformers.

So… can anyone explain why today I found a warning sign for 512V~? How do you even make that in a system built on factors of 12?

Specs are usually +/- a percentage like 10%, but that would be +6.7% above 480, so I don’t know where it came from.

You can weave a transformer for any voltage… can’t say why you’d need it, but you could make it.

When installing a new kitchen light for my brother I made the discovery that the house didn’t have it’s earth connected to anything. Normally in a terrace all the houses would share a common earth spiked at each end of the row, but I searched everywhere, found the common earth, but couldn’t find anywhere that my brother’s house’s wiring joined up with it.

So yeah… We’ve summoned a qualified electrician because like heck am I touching anything else in there before there’s a connected earth.