Raspberry Pi

My nine year old thought that was great. Big laughs over here. :slight_smile:

DD15 (yeesh!) is considering getting a Pi. Mainly to work on her coding. But it doesn’t run Unity, which is her preferred language. I told her she should get one just to learn a new language and expand her skill set. Obviously I’m wrong. :roll_eyes:

I have the same issue with 15-year-old son.

Speaking as someone who has programmed in about 15 different languages, I can honestly say that it is really important to learn more than one language - at least 3, more if possible.

The first language was okay.
The second one was actually harder.
The third one starts getting easier again.
After that you realise that most languages have more similarities than differences (with the possible exception of Prolog) and that picking up additional languages is actually pretty easy.
You start to concentrate more on what it is you want to achieve rather than the intricacies of how it’s going to be achieved.

Tell DD15 that it’s not just your (completely misguided) opinion that extra new languages are a good thing :smile:

…And then you get kind of annoyed because that one you kinda sorta knew 15 years ago is totally worthless today because everyone thinks it’s horrible.

2 Likes

Nah, the chances are that I probably think it’s horrible too :laughing:

Or you’re the only person in the company who knows it (or will admit to knowing it) and you’re the person they come to with questions when the one critical business process built with it breaks every 4 years.

Or you are like my mother and are working on a 40 year old mainframe programming in a language no one has bothered to learn for 20 years. While porting it to other systems and emulators that are themselves already out of date. It’s a job till death, but she’s never going anywhere.

According to what I can find, which isn’t complete or updated you can run up to 10 people on a Pi server. I’m going to try and document it on my blog. My issue is I want to run a Forge Server with some mods, most the things I have seen show people running bare bones servers.

And then I’m going to mess with running LEDs off it. I want to at some time put a weather station and lighting control in the kitchen.

Not a Pi, but I did set up a Minecraft server on a single board computer several months ago. Checklist (not quite a how-to) here: https://sigspace.wordpress.com/2016/05/28/pinecraft-my-29-pine64-based-minecraft-server/

Amazed to discover I started this thread.

I thought you had, and that I had read about it.

It’s here, and its in a box right next to me, but I’m not opening it yet. It goes under the tree.

So, how did it turn out?

Turns out that I’m too snotty to spend a significant amount of time fiddling with fiddly electronics.

Once my sinuses clear we’ll see what’s what.

I pulled my Arduino Uno kit out. I had snagged a starter kit a while ago and had completely forgotten it. I plan on building some of the projects the rest of this week. My circuit skills need some sharpening.

Ordered a RPi3 for my birthday. It will probably act as a wireless file server primarily while I’m deployed, but I’ve been looking at various hats and sensor kits and all sorts of wacky stuff you can do with it.

Don’t realize how used to two-day Prime shipping you are until everything takes 10-12 days to arrive.

I set mine up running RetroPi for a party over the weekend so people could play old games. Didn’t get used much: Ended up a couple of kids were bored with the adult’s party and wanted to watch kids shows.

BTW, WTF is “Larva” the kid’s cartoon? Looked odd.

I forgot we had a thread for this so thanks @sig for the revival.

I picked up a PowerSpec RPi3 at Microcenter in February when I visited Cleveland (side note: damn good thing I’m not into PC hardware anymore, I’d have walked out broke). I should have read up on it a bit more as when I booted it for the first time, I discovered that it was really meant to be a Citrix thin client and getting a real OS on it didn’t appear to be very easy - couldn’t boot off USB, couldn’t gain access to the SD card.

My second attempt, I did it while hooked up to my Ethernet network and after a few boots into “recovery” mode, I discovered that somehow it was making Raspbian available. Yes please! Spent a while downloading & installing that, came back up and boom! I had a fully functional Linux box.

It’s been up for 5 days and I just have Pi-Hole running on it so far. It’s ad-blocking my whole internal network via DNS and it’s been a very noticeable improvement of my browsing experience. Hopefully when life settles down in a month or so I can start doing more with it.

Looks like I’ll be finally putting together my Pi 3B this weekend as a Forge Minecraft server.

I found a couple sets of instructions and we’ll see how it goes. Then we’ll have to order the lego set and put the LEDs together, but I’ll have to find instructions for all that too. I want to have a Minecraft lego case for it, and have various features light up when things happen. Someone is on the server I want the lava lit up for instance, if the server crashes I want flashing torches or something… not sure where I’ll run into my mental limit here, might just end up with one LED showing that it’s running. Breadboards and LEDs are strange.

1 Like

I had planned on making my Pi a Minecraft server, but dakson already spends so much time playing that damn game on his iPad without a server.

What I really ought to do is find a way to blackhole YouTube when he’s in the house.

1 Like

IFTTT with GPS on or have it sense the WiFi connection, I bet you could build an aplet that could block Youtube.com when he’s connected to the network. There are ways around it, but he’d get smarter in the process, and then you could have a nice friendly family arms war.

You underestimate this boy’s laziness.

I keep thinking that I should look into this as a Kodi box solution. How is the video out? That’s the one thing I’m concerned about. There are a ton of tutorials on how to set up what I want, but none of them really mention the user experience.