A thread for bacon

I swear I may be part of the last generation that learned to drive in Indy that could find time to get on the highway when there wasn’t much traffic.

Saturday morning, forget it. Sunday afternoon forget it. Tuesday at 1 AM, maybe. You gotta go out on the roads to get a clear highway, and then watch out for the Semi Wolf-pack.

A rival high school here was named for Roger Bacon, an English philosopher and Franciscan friar who placed considerable emphasis on the study of nature through empirical methods.

Of course, when we’d have pep rallys we’d all chant “Beat the meat!”

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I’m still on the J&D’s Foods mailing list and earlier this week, they sent a notice about their most recent offerings. Adding in what’s on their website (jdfoods.net), they now have:

• Bacon Scented Underwear for men and women
  • Naked Bacon Cooking Armor, for guys concerned about getting hit by bacon grease there when cooking bacon in the nude
  • Bacon Scented Pillowcases
  • More seasonings, this time in Candied Bacon: Bourbon Pecan, Spicy Sriracha, Festivus!
  • Trifecta Seasoning & Rub (Bacon, Sriracha and Garlic)
  • Sriracha Lip Balm
  • Croutons: Bacon, Pretzel Bread, Tomato Basil, and Everything
  • Gravy seasoning: Brown gravy, Sausage gravy

The Tomato Basil croutons are pretty good, even if you’re just snacking on them. I can usually get them at the nearby grocery store.

Sad bacon-related news for people living in California. In January 2022, new rules go into effect for that says farms raising pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves have to provide more room for the animals. The latter two say they’re optimistic they can comply with the new rule, but only 4% of hog farms currently comply with it.

What this means is in just a few months, California will be in danger of running very low on bacon and other pork products. Their own farms produce 45 million pounds of the 255 million the state consumes a month, and that 255 million is 15% of the entire U.S. consumption.

Some of the costs associated with the new regulation:

• If California loses half of its pork, bacon prices will jump 60%.
  • An Iowa farm is estimating it will cost $3 million to change the farm to comply and they’ll lose 17% of their capacity. To break even with what they get today, each pig will have to fetch an extra $20 when sold, which isn’t happening right now.
  • Are there any good alternatives to pork for Asian restaurants that feature a lot of it in their menu?

I read about that the other day. Thank goodness I’m not addicted to bacon. Food prices have gone up so much in the last year that I am extremely grateful to be raising my own eggs and meat. When I get to the new place, I’ll be adding fish to the menu as well. I’ll have a large greenhouse, so veggies year 'round too.

3 Likes

Well we have approximately 12% of the US population so…

That still means a shortage and rise in price for the rest of the country. Even though I’m moving out of state next year, it still means I hope to find someone to trade/buy a processed pig from.

I feel like this pandemic has really exposed the weaknesses of the global supply chain. I realize this particular hiccup is not COVID related but as a whole, the pandemic has really shown what a house of cards it is.

1 Like

I hadn’t thought about it before, but you’re right. The shift to just in time manufacturing has saved companies a lot because they’re not paying to keep warehouses full of inventory that they may eventually sell, even if it’s a a reduced price.

The downside is what we’re seeing now. A disruption means you reach the point where you don’t have anything to sell quicker because you can’t make any more “just in time” products and it can cascade into other areas. The flooding in parts of Asia is already being projected to cause shortages at the end of the year.

Raw plastic is becoming hard to get. Especially for containers. Buckle up folks.

That being said, my son-in-law is opening his meat packing plant next month and I’m already on contract for half a beef for $3.99 a lb processed from a local farmer and I’m in the market for a hog. Screw this supply chain shit. I’ll pay a bit more here and there and get it on time the way I want it… as long as they don’t run out of butcher’s paper.

2 Likes