Free Windows 10

Windows 10 just informed me that I was “scheduled” to upgrade on a specific day. Yeah…no. I cancelled the scheduled upgrade. Apparently, I have until July 29th to finalize my upgrade or it won’t be free.

I’m honestly still on the fence about this.

I hear ya. I’ve been on the fence about upgrading the secretary’s computer at church. Unfortunately, several people use it, so upgrading could be a giant can of worms. But at least one user has asked for it - oddly enough, the one who insisted we buy an older model with Windows 7 rather than Windows 8. Can’t win for losin’ sometimes.
And I read an article over the weekend about the more aggressive upgrade tactics/tricks. Makes you really want to kick someone at Microsoft in the teeth.

I may lose my tech geek card, and that’s ok because it’s all torn and worn out, but I upgraded every machine in the house, and my mother’s laptop, and haven’t had an issue or a complaint.

I don’t blame you. Other than the mandatory updates, it works pretty darn well. I upgraded my laptop. The laptop I got for the wife on Black Friday weekend came with Win10. My primary workstation at the office is running Win10. I haven’t had any problems, performance-wise.

I think the major stigma I take is that A)I’ll receive free support longer with Win7. B) there isn’t a lot pulling me towards getting Win10. Like, where’s the beef? What’s the gain here?

I think that’s why they are making the update reminders so annoying, the gain is they go away.

What is the average user going to do eventually?

What’s the gain? Well, DirectX 12 is nice.

And some games use it! Okay only one game comes to mind, and a majority of the people in the forums have deliberately forced it into DX9 mode even though doing that stops many of the graphical effects working :rolling_eyes:

So let me get this straight, no DX12 support in Win7? Why not? I don’t recall them ever doing this with previous OS versions. I certainly wouldn’t expect DX11 in WinXP, but DX12 not in Win7? C’mon.

So far as I am aware you only get DX9 and 11 (and 10? Was that a thing?) on Win7, but since I only have Win10 to look at I can’t verify. We went from a gaming rig running XP to a gaming rig running 10 :stuck_out_tongue:

They have, not certain of the numbers, but DX versions have operating system limits.I think that’s part of why I eventually made it to XP.

Ugh…then. I guess I’ll have to push the button. Seeing as how I’m a gamer.

What’s this I keep hearing about the EULA and MS being able to access all of your files? Should I pay any mind to this?

I think it’s related to Cortana doing a full index of your whole system so that she can provide useful search results and functions.

How long until I need to have a circa 1995 Linux box that’s not connected to anything just to store personal files and music library backups?

And I know there are people out there who will say yesterday.

1 Like

So if I figured this out right, you can turn off all auto-update functions and Windows 10 will find a way to do an update anyways. Like, say, right in the middle of your game of Counter Strike. (Contains profanity, obviously.) :smile:

1 Like

You cannot turn all updates off without physically removing your computer from the Internet. Heck, it’s advised you don’t even plug it into a closed network incase Cortana sees the word ‘network’ ignores the ‘-work’, assumes she’s on the Internet and installs updates that she’s obtained through some demonic chanting.

I wish I was joking. Our gaming PC lives in a lead box inside a faraday cage inside a 55 gallon drum of thorium pellets inside a larger faraday cage which is electrified with the frequency deliberately phased oppositely to the mains power phase…

I know someone who had the two computers at her reception station upgrade without permission. She is pissed, naturally, since now her front desk people are having a hard time figuring out how to get to the programs they need to do their jobs. Windows 10 is also not compatible with the (very expensive) proprietary software she uses in her practice, so she can’t afford to have her systems update without planning.

GWX Control Panel - http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

I haven’t looked at this, obviously. This program is supported by a very vocal previous Windows engineer (I think) who loves Windows 10, but understands why people might not want to install it, and is against the FORCED update model.

He also has another video about how to turn off all of the security ‘features’ in Win10.

That sucks. Our government is currently forking out millions to MSFT for extended XP support because the emulator for their Lotus 123 databases doesn’t run on anything newer - just goes to show how relying on third party proprietary software is a dumb idea at both ends of the spectrum.

1 Like

It’s not just the Gov’t though. A bunch of companies would rather not fork over the cash to upgrade third-party software to a more current version and keep on keepin’ on with XP. That said, for some, they don’t want to go through the heartache of conversion to new software because $third_party_software didn’t have a successor. Even my company took their sweet time moving to Win7, and even then, we had to emulate older browsers and software to get some of our more antiquated software to run.

1 Like