Free Windows 10

Or go Gentoo and recompile your whole OS :wink:

(I’m glad that, by and large, FreeBSD has moved to binary packages and upgrades)

1 Like

Or join some of us over here in this shiny white room. Although you will have to wear this grey turtleneck. And you’re not allowed to eat fast food, or drink soda anymore. Or have fun that isn’t sanctioned by the iFun team.

You’re in the iWorld, Bill. And I am a GOD here.

• Steve Jobs, “Gates versus Jobs”.

Late to this party, but I hate all word processors to approximately the same degree, but for various reasons.

• I tried Pages briefly and just couldn’t make it do what I wanted.
  • I’ve been an MS Word user since the DOS days and in its efforts to be “helpful” it tends to muck things up that I then have to un-hose
  • The “always everywhere” ubiquity of GDocs is convenient, but I’ve found it tougher to make it do what I want sometimes because it’s close to Word, but not quite.

I’ve toyed with the idea of just writing everything in MarkDown, but then I have to post-process it if I want to share with anyone. And GDrive doesn’t have a plain-text editor.

I know what you mean, and I agree with you entirely. Pages just seemed to be the easiest option because I already had legacy Pages documents from back in the glory days of Pages 4 (iWork '09, before they dumbed it down). And I know the current Windows version of Office is not too shabby, but the Mac version of it is truly awful, not just aesthetically but operationally. I don’t expect my laptop to break a sweat when all I’m doing is word processing.

I tried the markdown route for a while, as well as just using TextEdit/Notepad and giving up on all formatting, which actually turned out to be awesome for sharing across devices, but crap for media inclusion. So I came back to Pages and now meh, it doesn’t do everything I want, so I just swallowed my pride and dumbed down my expectations.

Something I’ve been doing a lot over the past decade when it comes to Apple hardware already… le sigh.

My dad’s PC died yesterday… while he was booting it for me to show him how to use Google Calendar, so I was on the hook to help him.

I’ll leave out the grueling middle part, but end result was he got a new one, with Win 10.

I took it home to transfer his files, so I used it for a couple-three hours.

It wasn’t bad. I’m giving an upgrade from 7 serious consideration.

Good luck. 10 disabled a slew of my manufacturer-specific drivers.

YMMV. Both my machines survived intact after the upgrade, but both of those PC’s were 8.1. My kid’s gaming PC does have an issue with updates failing from time to time, but that could be due to my son messing around with things. Sooner or later he’s going to be dangerous, especially when he passes me by on my limited knowledge on computers.

1 Like

I have 10 on my new desktop I originally had 7 on, and on my three year old laptop. Everything seems fine. I need to check and see if there is a new intel on board graphics driver, but Sony doesn’t support that anyway so I was already off the reservation.

All my experience with Windows 10 has been repairing things that my family has done to it on their laptops. This was also my sole experience of Windows 8(.1), which makes this a rather good comparison at least from an “omg everything it broken, send help immediately, things are on fire” viewpoint.

Win10 is much, much nicer to administrate than Win8. There are some odd quirks, like some dialogue boxes looking like they belong to OS 6 because they’re simple white rectangles with confirmation buttons, and the occasional piece of software throwing a fit because … I dunno, reasons; but nothing near as bad as Win8 and the multiple settings panels and the trawling through endless loops and the noticeably slow (by comparison on the same hardware) system search engines.

1 Like

Microsoft clearly wants its entire user base on Windows 10. But think about it: This move targets use who don’t know enough to disable Recommended updates, but have also rejected Microsoft’s previous offers.

I really wish there was an option to check in the system settings for “I know what I am doing, so stop assuming I don’t known anything about computers”.

I just posted two of ArsTechnica’s articles on our school’s Microsoft news bulletin board. One was about the Windows 10 upgrade becoming a recommended update and the other was about the official how to get rid of the Windows 10 upgrade nag.

I updated my BIG PANEL machine freely to Windows 10 last night. Now, the touch screen don’t work no more. I have a call in to the panel manufacturer to see if they have an update. This machine was originally shipped with XP Pro, but I got it with Win7. I think it would be a better machine with Win10 (as a giant, interactive kiosk), but can certainly live with Win7.

“Hey! It looks like you know what you’re doing! Would you like some help installing Linux?”

So…I have an XP SP3 VM on my Mac for the sole purpose of running one program. But I’m increasingly feeling the need to have a personal Windows system to tinker w/ SQL Server stuff. And between that and Dropbox killing support for XP in 4 months, I need to get current.

Any ideas on the best way to get Win 10 install media & license (preferably Pro) for cheap?

For use in the VM, or as a box on your desk?
Get a used Win7Pro box and let it upgrade. You can’t kill the fscking “invitations” to upgrade.

That’s not entirely true. But it’s a huge pain in the arse to do so most people (myself included) just say fsck it.

Work is supposed to upgrade to Windows 10 by the end of the year so no worries there. Except how to make a gorram image that works and will deploy over SCCM when our SCCM setup is half baked at best. But that’s above my pay grade (the SCCM server part anyway).

I wish. You sorta can kill them, but they come back. On the church secretary’s computer, over the course of about 9 months, I’ve disabled at least half dozen of the invitation triggers from Windows Update (a couple multiple times) but M$ keeps adding different ones, with different KB numbers, or sometimes changing category for the KB# (critical, recommended, (what’s the other one?)) I ended up removing permission for regular users to run Windows Update, but that means [someone on the IT committed, but usually me] has to go in regularly after service and run updates as admin.
Supposedly, there is an app that watches for new or revised upgrade KBs and kills them, but I didn’t go that extreme.

My computer has now resigned to tell me that I have installs pending every night I shut down ({! Shield} is consistently next to Shut Down). Windows 10 upgrade is marked as Important, however the actual updates to Win7 are marked as Optional. I have to specifically go into Windows Update and mark the Optionals to install otherwise, they just sit until I decide to do it. A bit of a low-move by Microsoft.

For a VM. Apparently I can get Win7 Pro for $140 and 10 is $200.

We are not alone…