Photo management appears to have changed

I do apologize for eating up some space on your server, @Lee_Ars . I did notice that the compression has gotten heavier over time but today is the first time I noticed this:
I’m assuming photos are now being handled differently now since the option to download photos is gone as well. I’m just a bit curious about the change and how much of an impact members can have on your server.

Oh man. Sorry to let this sit so long unanswered. Too much going on.

Re: Photo management, I’m honestly not sure. I just press “upgrade” on Discourse whenever it says there’s one available, so it sounds like the devs have changed things.

I haven’t uploaded an image in a while, so let me try one real quick and see:

There may not be a download link, but right-clicking and choosing “open image in new tab” (or the equivalent option in your browser of choice) seems to still work A-OK. From there, you can save the image. (You actually might be able to just right-click on the original inline and save it there, since I think it’s just being scaled by the browser rather than actually being a separate thumbnail.)

No need to worry about the server. We got plenty space:

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             16G     0   16G   0% /dev
/dev/md1        227G   53G  163G  25% /
tmpfs            16G     0   16G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sdc1       916G  1.3G  869G   1% /backup
4 Likes

Interesting. In the photography thread, everything I post is being automatically reduced in size to around 1920 x 1270. This actually suits me fine because I was doing that manually before and it saves me a step (that thread is just for display - if anyone wants to exchange files there are other means of doing that).
I notice that your image is 3200 x 4258 - way bigger than mine. I can think of a number of reasons why that might be.

• There are user posting size limits and I’m over the limit
  • There are thread size limits and that thread is way over the limit
  • There has been a configuration change recently

None of this is a problem though. Trying to work out what is happening is purely curiosity on my part. I am very appreciative of you providing the space for us all to moan / rant / celebrate :grinning:

3 Likes

Yay, we can clog the server up with moar hi-res phodies :rofl:

1 Like