Bedtime, morning time, and getting old

I’m lucky that my lifestyle gives me ample room for activity. Yesterday, for example, not only did I get my 1000 steps in doing my chores (less during the winter since I don’t have to water and weed the garden), I got another 3K or so shoveling the walks and driveway. Shoveling snow also gives me a good cardiac workout too.

Pokemon Go gets me to go for a short walk at least even during the worst weather. Luckily there are three pokestops within a very short walk for me.

I need to get back to playing Pokemon Go…

If you do get back in (and it’s been more than 3 months since you last played), sue this invite code to get a bunch of free stuff. As you complete milestones, you’ll get more.
7TJH2CF8Q

I get stuff when you complete those milestones tool :slight_smile:

If anyone else is thinking about starting the game, you can you that invite code too.

1 Like

I had to travel to the ass end of the province to get some MRI work done. My knees and back are feeling the effects of osteoarthritis and my doctor wanted to have a look around.
I find it baffling that the largest population in the province doesn’t have an MRI lab. There’s one, and it’s near nothing.
If I had the capital, setting up another lab would be a no-brainer and a guaranteed money maker.

1 Like

More than a month ago I did not feel well, and went to the doctor. Sky-high cholesterol and a BP that refuses to go down to normal.

Decided I’m not going to get stronger meds, and started to push myself by walking more. Apparently the number of steps I did previously was not enough, the recommendation is 30000 (or more) steps per week.

First week it was House Hufflepuff, but it started to improve bit by bit.

This week I managed to get closer to my goal of 6000 steps a day. Over the weekend I tend to slack off a bit, because it’s weekend…

Next week it will still be 6000, but the week after I’m gonna gun for 8000.

BP is already much better. Will go back to the doc for a new cholesterol test in January.

Also made some changes to my diet, less meat and more fish/chicken as well as fruit and veggies.

3 Likes

YEAH! Screw you, doc! I’m gonna get healthy and live forever, just to prove you wrong!

Keep in mind this was done out of desperation. I don’t want to croak yet.

1 Like

Speaking of getting older, Elton John has lost his eyesight.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/12/02/sir-elton-john-lost-eyesight-david-furnish-failing-health/

2 Likes

Fixed my BP through activity, drugs, and weight loss.

Now I’m fucking cold all the time. My feet hurt at night, and I have to wear a coat and a hat all the damn time.

2 Likes

The heart is for the fixing of your BP. Losing weight does affect how cold affects you. I tell people all the time that I don’t get cold easily because I have an insulating layer of fat.

Turns out my feet getting cold maybe because I was overpumping blood to them before.

2 Likes

You’re not fat. You’re just protecting your internal organs against thermal shock.

I haven’t slept much the last 3 weeks. My good knee has gone sour. My left knee had a bout of bursitis about 15 years ago, and it took close to a year to work that out. It’s mostly fine now aside from a lot of crunching and grinding every time I sit or stand or walk. No, this time it’s my right knee. It’s been 3 weeks since it swelled up, and my doctor told me today that it’s likely osteoarthritis and/or a puncture in the knee cartilage. The swelling has finally gotten under control, but the pain persists. I can walk without incident most of the time, but the pain comes on in the evening and is almost unbearable. There seems to be mostly zero positions I can get into at night that don’t bring on a punctuation of pain that doesn’t end. I’m getting about 3-4 hours of sleep/night. Driving is difficult. Walking more than getting groceries is difficult. Standing in front of a lathe for hours is going to be impossible. So, pain relievers and exercise are the watchwords for the near future, with the possibility of cortisone injections. I’ll see in the new year.

I recognize that I am a man and have no idea what real pain is or how to handle/manage it.

2 Likes

Pain is relative. I have no doubt that all of us would be in severe debilitating pain if we switched bodies for a moment.

I’m surprised if it’s that bad they aren’t jumping to replacement or surgery already. It affecting your life that much has to suck.

1 Like

A 10-minute walk every day is good for me for now.

Sitting all day long on a spinny chair is not good for me.

1 Like

You probably want 3-5 10 minute walks per day. They really help loosen up the muscles.

1 Like

When my wife is out of town my sleep schedule gets all messed up. I’m either in bed by 9, or 1 AM. Or worse, in bed by 9, turning the light off at 1.

Still up at 5:45 either way, so there’s that.

Over the course of a month working at a “whenever the weather’s good and I feel like it pace”, I rip out a fence and gate that’s falling apart, break through some concrete to reposition a post, get new posts in, hang a new gate, new boards on. My back and hips let me know how unhappy they were with this at various times. Back complaints are not new. Hip complaints, yes.

Then it gets to a really annoying cycle. Sitting or lying down = okay. Getting back up = loud complaints. Moving around = complaints start tapering off. Decide I’m done moving and sit = okay again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I think this is the first time that I’ve had this clear of an object lesson to prove what my previous doctor said a long time ago: lose weight and get more exercise.

1 Like

Isn’t there just some kind of pill I can take?

1 Like

Last I heard, there was a guy handing out pills that can grow kidneys, but that was about 41 years ago.

3 Likes