Random Musings (and associated non sequiturs) v. 3.0

Technically trepanning is making a hole in the skull. Purpose thereof is not specified.

I’ve considered having my sinuses decommissioned by filling them with concrete.

Wow. Kongregate is taking down their entire site for maintenance next Tuesday, for four hours (I’m betting that is an estimate).

I can’t recall they’ve ever done that before. Hell, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an entire site taken down for maintenance. Certain features and processes, yes, but not the whole thing.

In the 14 years between 1984 and 1998 there were eight integer increments to the Macintosh operating system. In the 18 years between 1998 and 2016 there have been two. And weirdly, when you count actual game-changing re-writes of the OS to cope with jumps in hardware generations et al, we’re probably only on OS 6… OS-1 would be Motorola 68k, OS-2 would be PowerPC, OS-3 would be new-world PowerPC (ie, the iMac generation onwards), OS-4 would be 64-bit PowerPC, OS-5 would be 32-bit Intel (as it was co-developed alongside OS-4) and OS-6 would be 64-bit Intel, where we are today.

This musing is brought to you by my thoughts on this screenshot I created; a 2011 computer emulating a 1998 computer and and 1986 computer side-by-side. Show this to someone back in the seventies and you’d probably be burned for witchcraft. Or shot by military intelligence…

2 Likes

If the raccoons in our area weren’t trying to take being “party animals” so seriously, they wouldn’t be cooped up all weekend.

My neighbor got a pest control company to put some cage traps up on their roof. About three have been caught so far, and every time it’s been a Saturday morning that I see them in the cage. The company doesn’t work weekends. The critters need to learn not to go out roaming Friday nights.

2 Likes

Crap. I’m now eligible for AARP membership.

Dude, they’ve been trying to recruit me since I was in my 20s. (lots of mail) It used to really piss me off.

Yeah, me too. Until this year, though, I’ve been able to laugh about it and throw it away.

Is it a bit fucked up that I had to stop, a block and a half from home and piss on your tree? Yeah, a bit.

Is it the end of the fucking world, like you’re making it out to be? No. Not really.

… and now the Muslim school up the street has let out and gangs of young Muslim ruffians are cruising the streets, ringing doorbells and running away.

MADNESS RULES THE DAY!

Do dudes really pay $24-$34 for boxers?

1 Like

No. Dudes get the $10 3-pack at MallWart.
BROS can pay anywhere up to $50/pair, on the other hand.

Then, there’s me.

No but their girlfriends and wives will.

1 Like

C’mon, I spend some cash on mine. $24 for 6 pairs of boxer briefs. But I get the X-Treme temp control ones at Kohls, on sale.

I usually keep an eye out for back to school sales, especially when the package has a bonus pair or two for a couple bucks less than the usual price.
@Rizak and @ClockWorkXon were pretty much on point.

I despise Kohls right now. I can never find what I want at the one closest to me, and when I’ve tried to order from their website, it has always given me problems (especially if there is something on special - the code never works for me). My wife and my boss’s wife love Kohls, but that is not a big surprise since the store is 70% women’s stuff, with some kid’s clothes and housewares, and a dark corner with men’s clothes thrown in as an afterthought. I probably hate that place more than I should, but they’ve consistently frustrated me, even beyond three strikes because I get sucked in when we’re out and the wife wants to stop in to look for something.
</rant>
Sorry, deep breath, moving on…

This dude doesn’t.

But that dark corner has big and tall now.

I like Croft and Barrow and Haggar slacks. And really the alternative is Meijer, the mall, or really expensive shit.

The podcast I heard this particular brand advertised on was not one targeted at women - it’s 3 guys talking about fatherhood (mostly).

I’m tempted to buy one pair just to see what’s so great about them. I mean, I have dropped $20/pair on some undergarments that I only wear for running. And holy crap are they worth it. But that’s a pretty specialized situation - I wouldn’t sit on the couch all evening watching Netflix in them.

I dunno, you going to chill too?

3 Likes

There’s currently a ton of stuff being sold that, I think, is basically assuming that the potential customers are too stupid to do ‘real’ research and will fall for a clever ad campaign that makes them look indie and hip. The underwear sounds like one (there’s an underwear brand that seems to be making the rounds of podcasts right now) but there’s been socks, and I was briefly interested when I saw a coat online, but I realized I could probably get the same coat from a ‘known’ brand that was as good or better for half the price.